Be aware as a tourist in rio de janeiro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be aware as a tourist in rio de janeiro

There's much crime in Rio De Janeiro and tourists should be very careful of where they are going. Best thing is to take a cab and dont walk around so much. What I mean by that really is that dont go on certain streets / areas.

But at the same time I believe the same goes for new york in the united states, being in the wrong street could get you shoot for just being there.

Thank you very much for your good advice. At least you give us a hint to have a safety walks/travel in that particular place.

Comment

Yeah, Rio can be somewhat dangerous especially during the carnival season when people get really loaded on alcohol

Comment

Yea, I heard about the crime problem there. It's funny how there is so much publicity about how nice the place is, but not too much about the crime.

Comment

Rio is the capital city right?
          Big crime problem in capital, I wonder what its like in other palces.
          Btw, taking cab always can be very expensive,aren't I right?

Comment

yes taking a cab alot is kinda expensive, but the best thing is to plan your vacation and not just do impulsive stuff.

But I dont know what the cab prices in Rio is.

Comment

Originally posted by crassus View Post
              Yea, I heard about the crime problem there. It's funny how there is so much publicity about how nice the place is, but not too much about the crime.
              They don't want people to know about the crime there. They want people to visit. I seen a show on the Travel Channel about Rio. They didn't talk about the crime there either. I would say if someone wants to travel to a place like rio or anywhere, they should do research about the place.

Comment

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm just not that scared. Of course, I have frequented downtown Los Angeles.

Comment

Well, every big city has crime problems, but Rio and Sao Paolo are especially bad (Rio is not the capital of Brazil, by the way.) And taking a taxi is also dangerous in Rio, since you should not just stop any potentially fake taxi in the streets. Even radio-taxis are not really safe.

Away from the big cities, Brazil is reasonably safe, especially in the south.
                  Information on long-distance buses in Argentina

Comment

If you are traveling to Rio you should be concerned about crime but not so much as to change your travel plans on coming down here.
                    I´m an American living here in Rio and I´ve seen lots of thing happen here, really bad things but as a tourist you should stick to the tourist areas but be aware that the people there are there to scam and sometime prey on tourist so you should always be aware of your surroundings and stay out of the Favela (Brazilian ghettos).
                    This city is too beautiful to not visit. Stay alert and you´ll have a great time.
                    Trust me. I came here for two weeks in 2001 and havent left yet.

Lost in Brazil

Comment

Its like everywhere else, people are always tries to scam you if you are not very careful. I saw many tourist due to language barriers and culture miss-understanding,they are get scamed. And yes everyone has to be very careful with the locals specially in small areas.
                      icmeler hotels

Comment

I never had a problem.

My fiancé is Brazilian and we often fly to Rio because of his business. of course you have to always pay attention and not show off very expensive stuff, but can be a pretty nice place to go to.

Comment

Where ever you go, you should'nt show off expensive stuff. That's a golden rule for any trip you do, to a new country or place.
                          Administrator

Comment

I really do not think that Rio de Janeiro is unsafe, it all depends on where you stay and the places to visit, if you do not go out of the turist circuit, it will be ok
                            FRANCE BEACHES

Comment

Good people in rio....

You just need to be aware and alert,the people and guides are kind enough to take care and warn you for your safety.
                              Atlantic City Hotels

Comment

Working...
                              X