Atacama Desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atacama Desert

Atacama Desert, Spanish Desierto de Atacama, cool, arid region in northern Chile, 600 to 700 miles (1,000 to 1,100 km) long from north to south. Its limits are not exactly determined, but it lies mainly between the south bend of the Loa River and the mountains separating the Salado-Copiapó drainage basins. To the north, the desert continues to the border of Peru.

The original inhabitants of the region were the Atacame?os, an extinct Indian culture different from that of the Aymaras to the north and the Diaguitas to the south. For much of the 19th century, the desert was the object of conflicts among Chile, Bolivia, and Peru because of its mineral resources, particularly sodium nitrate deposits located northeast of Antofagasta and inland from Iquique. Much of the area originally belonged to Bolivia and Peru, but the mining industry was controlled by Chilean and British interests, which were strongly supported by the Chilean government. From the War of the Pacific (1879–83), Chile emerged victorious. The Treaty of Ancón (1883) gave Chile permanent ownership of sectors previously controlled by Peru and Bolivia, the latter losing its whole Pacific coastline.

The desert is completely barren and while most areas only receive moisture from an occasional fog or a shower every few decades, the rain gauge at Calama has never recorded any measurable precipitation. The Atacama is a high (most elevations are over 8000 feet) and cold desert, average temperatures range from 0° to 25° Celsius (32° to 75° F).

Chile's leading export of the nineteenth century was nitrate which came from mines in the Atacama Desert. Since the beginning of the twentieth century, when synthetic nitrates began to be produced, the Atacama Desert became responsible for Chile's current leading export, copper. Copper is mined in the eastern portion of the country, lying near the Argentina border.

Population in the Atacama Desert is severely limited. Settlements are limited to oases and mining towns. Water was once shipped to mining towns via mules and barrels but now arrives via aqueduct.
    Find the most interesting place from attractions guide
    Find the similar links
    List of hotels |Imports Company

That can be a good experience the way you have talked about it. The most basic thing is to understand the majors when you are aware of them all can go ahead. For me right now important thing is have a way which i had while using thousand islands cruises and it was really an amazing thing for me.

Comment

Chile is the most fabulous country of South America. Atacama Desert is famous destination of Chile. Many tourists go there. I really like Atacama Deseret. The Deseret covered area 1000 km of sliver land. I went there about three years ago with my Uncle’s family. Tourist can enjoy there a lot.

Comment

jack! After reading your post, really Chile is a nice country. I really like the kind of information about Atacama Desert of Chile which has been shared. I have never been to there. Would you like to share your experience with me? So I assure you all, that in my future, I will try to make a tour of there. I am waiting for your reply.

Comment

Chile is the country which is filled with so many attractions. Some of them I have shared which are my most favorite attractions in Chile. I am sure all of you will like to see these names of diffest atractions of this country.
          San Cristóbal Hill
          La Moneda Palace
          Santa Lucía Hill
          Valle Nevado
          Santiago Metropolitan Cathedral
          Magdalena Island, Magallanes Region
          Torres del Paine National Park.

Comment

Alizay, You have shared such nice stuff about the Chile attractions. Actually when i was reading abopve posts, so was thinking to ask here about to share some images and you shared them already. So that is good for me. Now i could be there next month after finishing my niagara falls tours from new york by bus. But just some names i need to know about its hotels where i could stay at inexpensively.

Comment

Working...
            X