Where is Jordan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Jordan?

I've never know about Jordan the country.
    I know only one Jordan and thats Michel Jordan. Is it a very small country?

It's a country in the arab world (middle east) in western asia with Syria to the north, iraq to the north east and israel to the west.

Yes it's a pretty small country

Comment

Amman is the capital. I would love to visit the Middle East, but the visas and such make it more and more complicated for Americans

Comment

More complicated for Americans?
        Does that mean the same difficulties like in other middle eastern countries like iraq, afaganithan? Does jordan have anything with USA like other have?

Comment

Zordan is Muslim country. There is still monarchy. They love their king and respect very much. They grow Oliv. I have not been there and I knew these things because I have one Zordian friend.
          They are very nice people.

Comment

I've never know about Jordan the country.
            I know only one Jordan and thats Michel Jordan. Is it a very small country?
            You gotta be kidding right? Where did you learn Geography?. Cmon mate, Its a wonderful country and yea it has some internal conflicts like everywhere else.
            icmeler hotels

Comment

Dont know what was he thinking while asking this question ....!!!
              Champs Elysees hotels

Comment

Jordan have nice air company
                Egipat Letovanje
                Hurgada Egipat

Comment

it is in the middle east near israel..
                  Philippine Travel Destinations - Philippines Travel Guide

Comment

I got to visit Jordan when in Israel recently. Went to see Petra, Petra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    It was a great experience.
                    Self Catering Accommodation Co. Monaghan Ireland

Comment

Jordan is around the Middle East, near Israel, Saudi Arabia and Iraq. Also close to the River Jordan and close to the Mediterranean sea.

Comment

I think you are kidding ... but anyway like everyone wrote Jordan is an arab country located in the middle east, btween Syria Iraq, it is very beautiful and there is much to visit therek, good luck
                        damascus syria

Comment

From Wiki

Jordan officially the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, is an Arab country in Southwest Asia spanning the southern part of the Syrian Desert down to the Gulf of Aqaba. It shares borders with Syria to the north, Iraq to the north-east, the West Bank and Israel to the west, and Saudi Arabia to the east and south. It shares control of the Dead Sea with Israel, and the coastline of the Gulf of Aqaba with Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. Much of Jordan is covered by desert, particularly the Arabian Desert; however the north-western area, with the Jordan River, is regarded as part of the Fertile Crescent. The capital city of Amman is in the north-west.

During its history, Jordan has seen numerous civilisations, including such ancient eastern ones as the Hebrew and later the Israelite tribes of Menasseh, Gad, and Reuben. Other civilisations possessing political sovereignty and influence in Jordan were: Akkadian, Assyrian, Judean, Babylonian, and Persian empires. Jordan was for a time part of Pharaonic Egypt, the Hasmonean Dynasty of the Maccabees, and also spawned the native Nabatean civilisation which left rich archaeological remains at Petra. Cultures from the west also left their mark, such as the Macedonian, Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman Turkish empires. Since the seventh century the area has been under Muslim and Arab cultures, with the exception of a brief period when the west of the area formed part of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem and a short time under British rule.

The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan is a constitutional monarchy with representative government. The reigning monarch is the head of state, the chief executive and the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. The king exercises his executive authority through the prime ministers and the Council of Ministers, or cabinet. The cabinet, meanwhile, is responsible before the democratically elected House of Deputies which, along with the House of Notables (Senate), constitutes the legislative branch of the government. The judicial branch is an independent branch of the government.

Jordan is a modern Arab nation with a predominately middle class population that lacks the vast wealth of some of its neighbors. Jordan's population is 92% Sunni Muslim with a small Christian minority. Jordanian society is predominantly urbanized and very ethnically diverse. Jordan is classified as an emerging market by the CIA factbook. Jordan is a pro-Western regime that has very close relations with the West especially with the United States, the United Kingdom and France. Jordan is one of only two Arab nations, the other being Egypt, that has relations with Israel.

Tourism

Tourism is a very important sector of the Jordanian economy, contributing between 10 percent and 12 percent to the country's Gross National Product in 2006. In addition to the country's political stability, the geography offered makes Jordan an attractive tourism destination. In 2008, there were over 6 million arrivals to Jordan. Jordan earned 3 billion dollars in revenue from the tourist industry. Opodo and Travel Guides named Jordan as the Top Emerging Destination for 2009. Jordan's major tourist activities include numerous ancient places, its unique desert castles and unspoiled natural locations to its cultural and religious sites. The best known attractions include:

* Ancient sightseeing
                          o Petra in Ma'an, the home of the Nabateans, is a complete city carved in a mountain. The huge rocks are colorful, mostly pink, and the entrance to the ancient city is through a 1.25 km narrow gorge in the mountain — called the Siq. In the city are various structures, all (except 2) are carved into rock, including al Khazneh - known as the Treasury - which has been designated as one of the "New Seven Wonders of the World" by the for-profit New Open World Corporation. Other major sites of interest in Petra include the Monastery, the Roman theater, the Royal Tombs, the High Place of Sacrifice. Petra was rediscovered for the western world by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt in 1812.
                          o Umm Qais, a town located on the site of the ruined Hellenistic-Roman city of Gadara.
                          Roman ruins at Umm Qais
                          o Ajlun, famous for the Al-Rabad Castle.
                          o Jerash, famous for its its ancient Roman architecture, including the colonnaded streets, arches, Roman theaters, and the Oval Plaza.
                          o Amman contains the Roman theater, in addition to several museums, where one may find remains of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
                          o Al Karak contains an important castle from the times of Salah al-Din, known as Al-Karak Castle.
                          * Religious sites
                          o Madaba, well known for its mosaics, as well as important religious sites such as:
                          + The Madaba Map.
                          + The River Jordan, which is the river where Jesus of Nazareth was baptized, by John the Baptist.
                          + Mount Nebo, where Moses was said to have gone to get a view of the Promised Land before he died.
                          * Seaside
                          o The Dead Sea - It is the lowest point on earth, 402 meters below sea level,[44] and becomes 1 meter lower each year. It is located near River Jordan.
                          o Aqaba is a town on the shore of the Gulf of Aqaba with numerous shopping centers, hotels and access to water sports.
                          * Other sites
                          A sandstone monument in Wadi Rum
                          o Wadi Rum is a desert full of mountains and hills located south of Jordan. It is popular for its sights in addition to a variety of sports that are practiced there, such as rock-climbing. It is also known for its association with Lawrence of Arabia.
                          o Fuheis, a beautiful town about 20 minutes north-west of Amman.
                          o Mahis with important religious sites, and wonderful landscape.
                          o Muwakir (Arabic for Machaerus) was the hilltop stronghold of Herod the Great. Upon Herod's death, his son Herod Antipas inhabited the fortress, and ordered John the Baptist to be beheaded there.
                          Regards,
                          Times.

www.fsholidays.net

Comment

b&b dublin

Thanks andrew for your information. It was very useful for me. As i planned a visit to this place can you suggest me where can i stay, what are the hot spots over there?.

Comment

Jordan Air...nice name.When i was a kid i though that Jordan NBA player is owner
                              Bugarska Bansko 2010
                              Bansko Hoteli

Comment

Working...
                              X