Waitangi Day of New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waitangi Day of New Zealand

Waitangi Day commemorates the first signing of New Zealand’s founding document – the Treaty at Waitangi in 1840. It is a public holiday in New Zealand on February 6 each year.

In 1840, representatives of the British Crown and over 500 Maori chiefs signed what is New Zealand’s founding document. The day was first officially commemorated in 1934, and it has been a public holiday since 1974. Waitangi Day thus marks the coming together in friendship of the Maori people and the white European settlers although it hasn’t been an easy road from there.

Māori cultural performances, speeches from Māori and Pakeha (European) dignitaries, and a naval salute are all part of the official Waitangi Day celebrations at Waitangi, New Zealand. Waitangi Day is also a time when people publicly debate on issues such as national identity and multiculturalism.

Various activities and events are held at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. It’s a day that bubbles with ceremonies, music, sports and fun. Waitangi Day itself has always involved performances and parades from the Royal New Zealand Navy and local cultural groups.
    Find the most interesting place from attractions guide
    Find the similar links
    List of hotels |Imports Company

I have no idea about Waitangi Day of New Zealand. I only heard about this day from one of my friends. He knows about this day because he has been New Zealand during this celebration last year. It is an annually celebration that is held on 6 February to celebrate the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. This day is recognized as the national day of this country.

Comment

Working...
    X