Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySydney

MySydney

Sydney is quite honestly a love it or loathe it type city. I have called Sydney home for over 2 decades now and i'm one who loves it, despite Sydney becoming one of the most expensive cities to live in i still have a love affair with it and know it pretty well. Sydney is by all accounts a cosmopolitan world city surrounded by the iconic landmarks, beaches, World Heritage areas, lush hinterland and acclaimed wine regions of the State of New South Wales...

When most people think of Sydney the images of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House and Sydney Tower spring to mind. Along with popular tourist attractions Taronga Zoo, Sydney Aquarium, Darling Harbour, Bondi Beach, Circular Quay etc and so forth. Although most of the abovementioned would be on a persons list of things to see and do in Sydney on their first trip here, i decided to compose my own personal guide to "MySydney" to give those travelling to Sydney an alternative to the more popular options. This guide is simply my personal "Best of" guide to Sydney and i have inserted links to relevant websites for anyone who wants further information on the places and things i have mention below.

Attractions

Sydney Quarantine Station (now known as Qstation) Qstation

Q Station is a contemporary take of the former North Head Quarantine Station. Originally occupied by the Garrigal people, North Head was a meeting place with strong spiritual significance. In the 1830s a quarantine station was established, which operated until 1984. Migrants suspected of carrying contagious disease were quarantined at the site to protect the local Sydney community from infection. Originally chosen for its isolation and safe anchorage options, the site today comprises 65 buildings, several archeological sites and spectacular vantage points for viewing Sydney Harbour and the Sydney Harbour National Park. Now leased and in the care of the Mawland Group, the site has been transformed into Q Station, a place for powerful, rejuvenating experiences to explore the future by connecting the past to the present.

Nan Tien Temple NanTienTemple

Situated in a suburb of Wollongong in the state of New South Wales. It is one of the branch temples of Fo Guang Shan, founded in 1965 by Venerable Master Hsing Yun, which has over 200 branches worldwide. "Nan Tien" in Chinese, literally means "Paradise of the South". This is the biggest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere.Since the opening of the temple in October 1995, it has become a new venue for local and international tourists and also acts as an important cultural centre bridging different cultures. Fo Guang Buddhism is rooted in the Mahayana tradition which emphasises that Buddhahood is within everyone's potential reach. Fo Guang followers strive to bring Buddhism into daily life and aptly term their faith "Humanistic Buddhism."

Bondi to Bronte Walk

Its combination of beaches, parks and spectacular views make the Walk unique. Begun as a state project during the 1930s, it now extends from Ben Buckler Point to Waverley Cemetery (and on to Coogee). It includes Bondi, Tamarama and Bronte Beaches and a medium gradient cliff-top path from Bondi to Tamarama , with occasional seating and several staircases. The beachside parks offer picnic shelters, coin-operated barbecues, play areas, kiosks, toilets and change-rooms. The Bondi to Bronte walk is an easy, one-hour stroll, the trail follows the headlands between Bondi and Bronte, cresting high to offer a view of sea-carved sandstone and crashing waves, then dipping down for a close-up look at some of Sydney’s best-loved beaches.

Grand Pacific Drive Grand Pacific Drive

The coastal route from Sydney, starting in the Royal National Park, heads south to Wollongong The name says it all. End to end, Grand Pacific Drive is sensational, a roller coaster ride that putters through rainforests, dallies through seaside villages and whisks you along a sensational strip of coast, with never a dull moment. While the drive is short enough for a day trip from Sydney, turn it into a short break and you’ll have time to relax, hike some of the walking trails, take a dip in the sea and savour some of the sensational food along the way.

Festivals/Annual Events

The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Mardi Gras

The Mardi Gras begins in a party atmosphere with speakers, music, previews of events and refreshments in Hyde Park on College Street, Sydney. The festival runs for around four weeks in locations throughout Sydney.The Mardi Gras first major activity is usually a free outdoor Fair. The day is promoted as a day for friends, family, frolicking and fun with entertainment, music, theatre and an Art Show. The jewel in the crown of the Mardi Gras Festival is the Parade that is held on the first Saturday of March. The Parade commences at Hyde Park (corner of Liverpool & Elizabeth Sts) and makes it's way along Oxford St and then Flinders Street and concludes at Moore Park. At the conclusion of the Parade the Party begins. The Party usually continues through to Sunday morning. Be warned due to it's huge pulling tourist power prices of drinks and night club entry fees have sky rocketed but if willing to let that slide you will experience a night (and atmosphere) unlike any other.

The Sydney Royal Easter Show Sydney Royal Easter Show

The Sydney Royal Easter Show is an iconic annula festival steeped in Australian tradition and history.The show combines exhibits, competitions and entertainment over two weeks at the Sydney Showground, Sydney Olympic Park. Gates open at 9:00am every day for the 14 days of the Show.
    some of the shows favourite attractions include:
    The Sunday Telegraph Animal Walk, the Woolworths Fresh Food Dome and the Coca-Cola Zone which are key parts of Show tradition, and kids of all ages will be thrilled by over 300 Showbags on offer, colourful parades, enchanting street theatre, and a variety of culinary delights including award winning Sydney Royal produce as well as the ever popular Show favourites.
    The Show has hundreds of commercial exhibitors, of which half comprise a wide range of commercial exhibitors who use the Show to launch products, raise brand awareness and reach the Show's large audience. Everything from farm machinery and garden products to clothing, jewellery and even pets are on sale at the Show.

Dreamfest

Annual Newtown Festival held in Camperdown Memorial Rest. Park in Newtown. It's growing in popularity and with good reason - it's a great day out. Admission is free although gold coin donations are appreciated and encouraged as it's put back into community based projects. The festival has numerous stages of live music, a writers tent, kids zones, eco zones, markets & food stalls and fully licensed on site bars.
    Festival climaxes with an after party at Enmore Theatre but the after party require pre-purchased tickets prior to event.

Sony Tropfest
    Tropfest
    The world's largest short film festival. Tropfest is a free, public, outdoor, annual short film festival held in February in locations across Australia. The festival provides the ultimate exhibition opportunity for filmmakers, giving them a chance to screen their films in one of the most unique festival environments in the world. From more than 800 entries, each year 16 Finalists are selected to premiere to an audience of more than 150,000 people via simultaneous satellite screenings in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth, Hobart and eight regional locations around Australia. Each year, Tropfest has a theme - Tropfest Signature Item (TSI) that must be incorporated in all entries to ensure that they are unique and are made specifically for Tropfest.
    Below are a few of my favourite Tropfest Short Film Finalist
    Applause (2006)
    The Story of Bubble Boy (2006)

I attended my first Tropfest this year and although the film "Marry Me" won my pick was the hilarious film Made In Australia

The Good Food and Wine Show The Good Food & Wine Show

The Good Food & Wine Show is held at Sydney's Exhibition Centre (in June) with over 300 exhibitors, the Sydney Good Food & Wine Show is the ultimate place to explore new tastes and the latest culinary trends from around the world. Visitors can sample free food and wine, see live cooking demonstrations from celebrity and television chefs and win 100s of fabulous prizes.Usually also with latest cooking products, wine tastings, exclusive show offers, book signings & showbags.The Good Food and Wine Show is a great place to also discover new wines, a few years back i discovered Brown Brothers Moscato at the GF&WS and have never looked back.

The Great Southern Blues & Rockability Festival The Great Southern Blues & Rockability Festival

The Great Southern Blues & Rockability Festival is an annual event held in October over the New South Wales Labour Day long weekend. This always falls on or around the first weekend of October. The Festival is held on Smyth Oval, Narooma on the New South Wales South Coast. Smyth Oval is situated in the middle of Narooma within easy walking distance of most accommodation.Located on the coast nestled beside the pristine waters of Wagonga Inlet and surrounded by majestic National Parks, Narooma is situated approximately 5 hours south of Sydney, 8 hours north of Melbourne and 3 hours from Canberra. Known more as a sleepy summer holiday destination, Narooma is now famous for the "Friendly Festival" that comes to town every September/October. The Festival operates a Festival specific camping ground adjoining the Festival Site complete with showers and toilets for use exclusive of campers
    Rajasthan Tour Package

Sidney is simply nice and futuristic city!

Comment

It is avery nice city.
      Travel abroad sydney australia for fun.

Comment

Armidale

Sydney is a beautiful place!Even i once been to Armidale,with its unique blend of culture, state of the art technology, educational diversity and natural beauty is a city offering everything worth living for.

Comment

Sydney is the Harbor city and has some exceptional places like Opera House, The Harbor Bridge, Parramatta and Darling Harbor Aquarium. I’d definitely recommend travelers to take a trip towards this place.
          Virginia bed and breakfast | Victorian inn bed and breakfast | Romantic bed and breakfasts

Comment

I have been to Sydney for quite a few times now, and I can tell you that the city really never gets old. There is always something interesting to see out there.
            Plan to Work Abroad? Have a Work in Australia nowJobs in Australia - PrincipalVisas.com

Comment

Sydney is the largest city of Australia its is known for its well-known destinations that grab attentions of tourist from throughout the world. It is a most famous holiday destinations where the large number of visitors come here with family and kids and had great time there. It is a best city where tourist can visit and see a diverse kind of attractions of this beautiful city. I hope my shared information would be useful for you.

Comment

Well! I agreed with you and will say that your views about Sydney are truly nice. I will take a tour of the city soon and will enjoy one week tour of this city. I will arrange this tour for me with my farther when he will be back from his west coast tour usa. So i would like to ask you have you any suggestion for me?

Comment

Working...
                X