Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to visit Ho Chi Minh city - Vietnam ? Read my Tips

Getting Around
    Around the towns there are cyclos, motor bikes and taxis. They are all inexpensive by Western standards, but before you go with any of them you have to negotiate the price. Most taxis have meters but sometimes they will try to get more. Be polite but firm.

Walking
    I like to walk when I can, it's the best way to see the people and their everyday routine. The only problem with walking is the street people, vendors and cyclo drivers. They will often follow you everywhere you go. Unfortunately, the only way to avoid this is to ignore them. Even saying, "No thanks." is an invitation for them to follow you. This can be very annoying. I've had them follow me for hours.

Cyclos and Motorbikes
    Cyclo drivers are notorious for asking one price and wanting more after the ride, but it is still worth the experience to try it out. Make sure you negotiate a price before getting on one, and don't pay more, except for maybe a small tip.
    Motorbikes are everywhere and are my choice in the cities. Every corner, every hotel everywhere you go there are motorcycle taxis available. They are inexpensive, but as usual, still negotiate a price before you get on.

Busses
    With the exception of tour company busses, they are pretty miserable, slow and unreliable. You might want to take one just for the experience, it's another way to mingle with the locals. Make sure to watch your belongings.

Taxis
    They are relatively inexpensive, also a great way to get around, especially if the weather is bad. Just make sure you get a metered cab and only pay what's on the meter, and maybe a small tip.

Trains
    A train runs from Hanoi to Saigon, making several stops at coastal towns. It's fun to take at least one or two train trips. It's a good way to see the countryside if you have the time. Make sure you get a "Soft Sleeper" or at least a cushioned seat. I would also bring my own food and drink.

Boats
    In some areas it is necessary to take boats. A recommended ride is to take the hydrofoil from Saigon to Vung Tau. In most cases the prices are set but in cases where it is a privateer, make sure you negotiate the price prior to getting on the boat.

Airplanes
    If you are traveling any distance and time is a consideration, planes are not expensive by Western standards and allow you more time at your destination.
    Never surrender your suitcase or backpack to a taxi driver at the airport before you see his vehicle, or you may find yourself chasing him wherever he wants you to go. Instead, look for a metered taxi. You still may want to verify a price before getting in. In Saigon there is a taxi stand inside the airport where you pay there and they give you a voucher. I still had my cab driver try to get more money from me. So, just make sure at the stand that your payment is in full or ask if you will need to pay more.

Beggars
    It's a sad reality that in Vietnam, as in many places in the world, there are beggars on the streets and there are young street kids who sometimes work for begging syndicates. They can be relentless. If you are seen giving money to a beggar, you may find yourself surrounded by them and if you buy something from a street kid, flowers, gum, etc., they have a tendency to follow you everywhere you go trying to sell you more. Unfortunately the best way to deal with the situation is to totally ignore these people from the start. I know this sounds cold but it's just the way it is. I've actually had to jump on motorcycles and taxi cabs just to get away from them.

Bartering
    Bartering is expected in Vietnam, except for in some of the bigger stores. Usually the vendors on the street will start with double or triple the price that they are willing to take. It is expected that you try to negotiate a lower price, and you want to get a good deal, but you also want to be fair. If you can't reach a fair price walking away will let you know if they are willing to take less. Keep in mind that these people are trying to make a meager living, so don't try to get the absolute lowest price.

Tipping
    People don't normally tip in Vietnam, but giving a small amount is very much appreciated. Remember they have very little. On the other hand, do not over tip as it could be insulting and it drives prices up for the next person. In some establishments the owner doesn't even let the employee keep the tip, it's yet one more thing that makes it hard to help people in Vietnam.
    http://www.facebook.com/SaigonPlaces

Very helpful tips. Thank you.
    True. Vietnam has rich historical and ancient traditions. It is home to beautiful sea beaches, mountains, traditional villages, historical cities and modern cities. You will have amazing experience.

Comment

We provide Vietnam luxury tours and Vietnam luxury travel to Hanoi, Ha Long bay.
      Please contactus at https://www.wlinktravel.com/

Comment

Sounds like a good experience, the basic thing is to know about the things when we go to some places we needs to have knowledge about its basics so that we can taken care of the things that comes around and lets us grow so that everything can go goodly for us.
        When it comes to my traveling i usually use fort lauderdale to boca raton that stays quite reasonable for me.

Comment

Ho Chi Minh City is such a nice place for visit. It is home of captivating and alluring attractions that grab attentions of visitors. Its historical places appeals me a lot. I have been there about a years ago with my friends. We stay there for two days and enjoy there shopping. A lot of visitors go there each year to enjoy incredible beauty of this amazing city.

Comment

I am going to agree with you that Ho Chi Minh city is a most precious destination for visit in the Vietnam. There are many most beautiful and gorgeous attractions for having fun. It is famous for its historical places. I also visited there before my cherry blossom in washington dc and I explored its most famous parks, gardens, museums and zoo. It has plenty adventuress places where tourists can enjoy many outdoor activities. In my point of view it is a best place for all kind of visitors.

Comment

Working...
            X