Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Should You Buy Your Favourite Antiques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Should You Buy Your Favourite Antiques?

Are you an antique lover? Then, why will you let a day pass without searching for a Chinese antique that will truly be worth your money? Chinese antique souvenirs are always worth keeping as reminders that once in your lifetime you’ve been to China. Thus, your China getaway will be incomplete without shopping for your favourite antique souvenirs!

When roaming around the cities of China to purchase an additional antique souvenir, the very first thing to decide on is the place where you will start your shopping. Don’t worry because there are lots of friendship stores all over the Chinese cities—and these are all meant to provide the visitors with an exceptional service. Aside from the wide array of luxury items such as silver, jade, gold, and pearl jewellery, silk and embroidered cloths and dresses, paintings, pottery, handicraft, treasures of the study, and many more, antique items are also sold by these friendship stores.

There are six classifications of Chinese antiques—paintings and calligraphy, porcelain, jewellery, furniture, curios, and books. Whatever your choice is, China souvenir shops and shopping centres have them all!

Antiques are quite complicated to decide on. Your initial consideration must be whether or not the item is allowed to be exported. Chinese laws dictate that only the antique items which existed from 1797 onwards may be taken out of the vicinities of China. Those that can be exported bear that sealing wax which signifies that the National Administration for the Preservation of Cultural Relics have issued its exporting license. Expensive antiques must be carefully looked at as imitation is not new in China.

However intense your desire is to go out for your much-awaited antique shopping in China, here are some vital points to bear in mind:

Be aware of the Chinese law on the exportation of antiques. Most shopping sites have stationed customs officials who ensure that visitors like you are well assisted in your purchase of antique items.

Buy only antique products which bear the wax seal. The wax seal denotes that the item is genuine and can be taken out of China.

Don’t trash your receipts for the antique items as they will be asked for by the customs officers as you leave the country.

Don’t attempt to purchase antique items which are formed out of wild animals. They will only be confiscated from you.

And finally, always take a scrutinizing look at the items that you plan to buy. You don’t exactly wish to spend your money for nothing.

Be a wise shopper. Some traders will often take advantage of you, but you should be wiser than they are. It will be better to observe the buyers in the free market and take note how the native Chinese pay for their purchases. Visiting China is always a great experience especially when you get the best deals out of your antique favourites.

Yeah, got the same experience man! I was about to pay for this really awesome antique jar when my friend remembered about the wax seal that is supposed to prove that the item is authentic. When I checked out on the antique jar, I saw no mark of that sort. Good thing I haven’t handed my payment to the vendor yet. Or else, my money will have been wasted. Plus, I might have gotten into real trouble with the customs officers! So guys, better watch out for those scrupulous Chinese antique vendors when you shop for your favourite antique collections!

Comment

Thanks for the information dude! I’ll be in China next week and your post will certainly save me from any worries with my antique shopping.

Comment

What particular city in China are you referring to? Can you please keep me informed so that I’ll be extra careful in dealing with the antique vendors there?

Comment

I love old stuff. I think my trip to China will be very interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X