Dragon Boat Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Boat Festival

Many believe that the Dragon Boat Festival originated in ancient China based on the suicide of the poet and statesman of the Chu kingdom, Qu Yuan in 278 BCE.The festival was long marked as a cultural holiday in China. it wasn’t until 2008 that the Dragon Boat Festival was recognized as a traditional and statutory public holiday in the People's Republic of China.

The festival commemorates the life and death of the famous Chinese scholar Qu Yuan, who was a loyal minister of the King of Chu in the third century BCE. Qu Yuan’s wisdom and intellectual ways antagonized other court officials, thus they accused him of false charges of conspiracy and was exiled by the king. During his exile, Qu Yuan composed many poems to express his anger and sorrow towards his sovereign and people.

Qu Yuan drowned himself by attaching a heavy stone to his chest and jumping into the Miluo River in 278 BCE at the age of 61. The people of Chu tried to save him believing that Qu Yuan was an honorable man; they searched desperately in their boats looking for Qu Yuan but were unable to save him. Every year the Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated to commemorate this attempt at rescuing Qu Yuan.

The local people began the tradition of throwing sacrificial cooked rice into the river for Qu Yuan, while others believed that the rice would prevent the fishes in the river from eating Qu Yuan’s body. At first, the locals decided to make zongzi in hopes that it would sink into the river and reach Qu Yuan's body. However, the tradition of wrapping the rice in bamboo leaves to make zongzi began the following year.

The Dragon Boat Festival is a celebration where many eat rice dumplings (zongzi), drink realgar wine (xionghuangjiu), and race dragon boats. Other activities include hanging icons of Zhong Kui (a mythic guardian figure), hanging mugwort and calamus, taking long walks, writing spells and wearing perfumed medicine bags.

All of these activities and games such as making an egg stand at noon were regarded by the ancients as an effective way of preventing disease, evil, while promoting good health and well-being. People sometimes wear talismans to fend off evil spirits or they may hang the picture of Zhong Kui on the door of their homes, a guardian against evil spirits.
    Find the most interesting place from attractions guide
    Find the similar links
    List of hotels |Imports Company

Nice Post
    golden triangle tour India, golden triangle, Delhi agra jaipur tour
    Nandini
    Golden Triangle Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | India Travel Packages

Comment

Dragon Boat Festival or For dragon boating as a sport. In this festival expect lots of realgar wine and rice dumplings, the core of celebrating this festival commemorates the death of poet Qu Yuan.
      Families should book their boracay island getaway at 7Stones Boracay Suites. It offers you nothing less than the luxury resort in boracay and exclusivity of a perfect boracay beach resort getaway.

Comment

The Chinese Dragon Boat Festival is a significant holiday celebrated in China, and the one with the longest history.
        Want to Book a Hotel Room?
        Subscribe to HotelBookSave.com

Comment

A dragon boat (also dragonboat) is a human-powered watercraft traditionally made in the Pearl River Delta region of China's southern Guangdong Province out of teak wood to various designs and sizes. In other parts of China different woods are used to build these traditional watercraft. It is one of a family of Traditional Paddled Long Boats found throughout Asia, Africa, and the Pacific Islands .
          Want Up to £50 Cash Back?
          Book Your Hotels From Hotelbooksave.com

Comment

Thanks for providing me information about dragon Boat festival.
            Hotels in manali
            Luxury hotels in manali
            Visit kullu manali

Comment

Wonderful information. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep sharing also!

Comment

China have many cultural and traditional festival in all months. The Dragon Boat or Duanwu Festival is a traditional and statutory holiday originating in China. This time this festival will start end of month May 31 and falls in first week of June 2. The Dragon Boat festival held every year for more than 2,000 years. Festival organized in the memories of legend Qu Yuan.
                This site give to you much reliable journey
                durham to new york bus

Comment

Nice post, I've never thought that much about the culture and tradition of china, But really your post is really helpful to increase our knowledge about china, and Chinese tradition. Thank you for sharing such useful post with us.

Comment

Yes, Dragon Boat Festival originated in ancient China based on the suicide of the poet and statesman of the Chu kingdom, Qu Yuan in 278 BCE. All of these activities and games are really interesting for me. If I have sufficient time and money I really want to see this dragon Boat festival.
                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::Plan With US Your Dream Journey::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

I much heard about this festival form others but never enjoyed this festival ever. I would like to know something more about this Dragon Boat Festival and would like to be a part of this festival. I am sure it will be the fun filled time for me to enjoy this festival. have you ever enjoyed to be there during this festival. Then share your experience of being there with me.

Comment

The Dragon Boat Festival (Duanwu Festival, Duānwǔ Jié, Double Fifth, Tuen Ng Jit) is a traditional holiday that commemorates the life and death of the famous Chinese scholar Qu Yuan (Chu Yuan). The festival occurs on the fifth day of the fifth month on the Chinese lunisolar calendar.

Same day agra tour by train | same day agra tour | same day agra tour by car
                        Same day agra tour | Same day agra tour by car | Same day agra tour by train | Agra overnight tour | Golden triangle tour 6 days | Golden triangle tour 7 days | One day agra tour | Same Day Agra Tour | Same Day Taj Mahal Tour by Car

Comment

I was totally unfamiliar by Dragon Boat Festival. I got quite interesting information about these festivals from you guys. Now I want to ask you that when these festivals will held this year. I would like to join it and will enjoy my tour of China that time. So must tell me I will wait for this.

Comment

Working...
                          X