Timgad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timgad

The ruins of Timgad in Algeria are an impressive set of ancient Roman remains and rank among the best such ruins in North Africa.

Founded by the Emperor Trajan in 100 AD, the settlement of Timgad, then known as Thamugas, was probably a base for the Third Augustan Legion.

Timgad was both a military colony and an incentive to the African people to serve in the Roman army, as anybody who did so for twenty-five years would have a home in the base. An interesting point to note about the ruins of Timgad is that all of the homes built there were similar in size, a sign of equality amongst Rome's citizens.

The original settlement was a perfect square, spanning an area measuring 355 square metres. Timgad continued to grow throughout the second century and reached its zenith during the reign of Septimius Severus, from which most of the current buildings date.

Much of Timgad was damaged in the fifth century and, despite a brief Byzantine revival of the settlement under Justinian, it was finally destroyed during the seventh century Arab invasion and abandoned by the eighth century.

Today, the vast ruins of Timgad are a well preserved UNESCO World Heritage site. Amongst other things, visitors can view the remains of a stunning second century Trajan arch, a 3,500-capacity theatre, a forum and a series of fourteen bath complexes. There is even a library and the remains of temples and churches, the latter demonstrating the later prominent Christian presence in Timgad.

The ruins of Timgad have been a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1982.
    Find the most interesting place from attractions guide
    Find the similar links
    List of hotels |Imports Company

Thanks for providing me information. Nice Post.

Comment

Timgad is a part of history of Roman. Timgad was a Roman colonial town in the Aurès Mountains of Algeria. The full name of the town was Colonia Marciana Ulpia Traiana Thamugadi.
      This colony is buillet by the Emperor Trajan around AD 100. Its a Roman military colony which provide accommodation for 15,000. Whatever happened at this site before AD 100 is of little consequence.
      If you are history then it's a perfect place to get some thing more about Roman past.
      This site give to you much reliable journey
      durham to new york bus

Comment

It’s a great post about Timgad. I have not visit this place before but now I must go there with one of my clients after my boston niagara falls tour. Can anyone tell me about the cheap resorts of this place to stay over there?
        I'm ready to visit Belize top beaches.

Comment

Ash, I have not enough information about its resorts because I have been there many years ago and stayed at "Hotel Residence Le." It is one of the famous and oldest hotels of this region. We have been there only for a night and really enjoyed during our stay.

Comment

I never been there but I heard about it through my Uncle. He told me that is the most beautiful town of Algeria. I want to go there once in coming months.

Comment

You are uncle right say about this destination. I like to say that it is a really nice destination for travelling point of view. I have been visiting there at once in my life. I say surly Algeria is a really nice Country in North Africa. I want to go there once again in my life. It has many interesting points.

Comment

Algeria is a really nice destination all over the world. I have visited this place when I was free from my exams. During this we have explored many attractions such as
                Jardin d'Essai du Hamma
                Notre Dame d'Afrique
                M'zab
                Great Mosque of Algiers
                Which you have visited there?

Comment

I have never explored this place in my life. In fact, I have no idea about this place yet. I come to know about this place through this thread. al of you shared information about Timgad which is really nice. after reading your posts, I have a plan to explore his place in next month with my family. Can anyone share some images and accommodation names of this places.

I can never forget my tour new york philadelphia washington dc.

Comment

Why not dude here I am going to share some images and hotel names of Algeria with all of you.

Accommodations
                    Hilton Alger  
                    Praia Dourada  
                    Hotel Porto Santo & Spa  
                    Pestana Colombos Premium Club All Inclusive  
                    I hope this will be useful for you.

Comment

Happy after reading your post. Baecuse you reply me fast an shared real beautiful images of this places and also share with me really nice accommodations names of this places. Which are awesome. After getting this nice information. I will go there soon. I am sure I will enjoy there.

Comment

I really love the conversation that you all are running here and i am so sure that it will be fun fill time for me to try out anything like that, cause traveling always makes me feel so much happy and please, and surely it will be good time for me to have good time there.

Comment

Due to some reasons, I can't explore this place in these days. Because I am taking a niagara fall tour from new york with my friends. Because they want to enjoy frozen views of Niagara fall in these days. Therefore, we are going to explore this waterfall together for enjoying having fun. By the way, which are your future plans?

Comment

Jesse, I have no idea about her but would like to say that, I will visit west coast with my friends in next days. I am very happy with it and quite sure will enjoy a great time there with mates. So let me know what will you like to say about my next plan. Have you ever enjoyed the charm of USA west coast in your life?

Comment

Working...
                            X