Mafia Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mafia Island

Mafia Island and its surrounding archipelago including Jibondo, Juani and Chole is located 30 minutes flight south of Zanzibar. Mafia has a great deal to offer as an unspoiled, little-visited alternative to other Indian Ocean locations around Zanzibar and along the coast. However, as with Pemba, Mafia has better diving than Zanzibar, but worse beaches. Mafia is the one island off Tanzania's coast that really encourages visitors to explore its offshore islands and sand bars. There are very few hotels here which only adds to the attraction of Mafia as the beach destination for the adventurous traveller.

The atmosphere of all the islands is that of adventure; days are spent fishing or exploring exposed sand bars and untouched reefs. The diving on offer here is certainly the best in the entire region. Perhaps a lodge only for those mad keen on making diving the central focus of their Tanzania holiday.

The Mafia archipelago consists of one large island (394 km2) and several smaller ones. Some of these are inhabited, such as Chole Island (2 km2), with a population of 800. Chole Bay, Mafia's protected deep-water anchorage and original harbour, is studded with islands, sandbanks and beaches. The main town is Kilindoni. The stretch of water between the deltas of the Rufiji River and the island is called Mafia Channel. There are popular rumours of pygmy hippo on the island but there are no confirmed sightings.

Mafia Island's history goes back to the 8th century. The island once played a major role in ancient trade between the people of the Far East and East Africa. It was a regular stop for Arab boats. On the tiny island of Chole Mjini, just offshore in Chole Bay, once stood a settlement that constituted one of the most important towns controlling trade from the silver mines of Eastern Zimbabwe, which reached the town via the old ports of Kilwa and Michangani.

Kinasi is one of the oldest lodges on the island and fits right into the sleepy feel of Mafia. The 15 rooms are made from stone, and although seeming somewhat dated, they have thoughtfully decorated interiors and the hotel has good food and service. Kinasi is one of the only lodges on the island with a swimming pool, and has one of the most experienced dive masters on the island. Next door to Kinasi is Pole Pole (meaning ‘slowly, slowly’ in Swahili). Pole Pole is even more laid back than Kinasi but has lovely bungalows and a good general feel.

The lodge’s size, with only seven rooms, is a reason to come in itself, especially if you want to get away from crowds completely. Across the waters, Chole Mjini is a small tree-house lodge on Chole Island across the bay from Kinasi and Pole Pole. Chole Mjini is an eco-lodge with emphasis is on sustainability and eco-credentials. You have to be prepared for the long drop compost toilets here...but the character and unique charm of this lodge is undeniable. The final two lodges to mention are Mafia Island Lodge and Ras Mbisi, however, we would opt for any of the other three lodges where possible.
    Find the most interesting place from attractions guide
    Find the similar links
    List of hotels |Imports Company

Thank you for sharing good news for me.

Comment

Mafia Island lies across the trade winds and experiences the north-east Kaskazi and south-east Kusi seasons. The Kaskazi usually starts at the end of November after a period of shuwali (calm) and short rains (vuli). The Kusi is the longer and windier period, running from early July through to mid-September.

Comment

Thanks for sharing such kind of information about the Mafia Island. So, keep update.

Comment

I like it so much and nice to know about it.I want to travel to it.Its location is fabulous and mind blowing.It attract the tourist mainly by adventure,scuba diving and those who wanting relaxation.The people of this island are live only on fishing but its really a nice place to see.
          This site give to you much reliable journey
          durham to new york bus

Comment

Mafia Island is a unique Island with Diving, Big Blu Mafia Island Diving Center, Afro Whale Shark Safari and Mafia Marine National Park. I have visited there before yellowstone bus tour and saw all these places. Afro Whale Shark Safari is a native guide from Mafia and offered us a great excursion with whale’s sharks. We saw people who paid the double than me because they went through other guides. I recommend afro whale sharks and will exactly do the same if go back to mafia.
            Last edited by Ash; 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM.
            I'm ready to visit Belize top beaches.

Comment

I have heard of this island and its similar to the ones which are located in Mexico at the same time because of the reasons why it is there and the way it goes is appreciable and decent that stays there.
              When it comes to my traveling i usually use fort lauderdale to boca raton that stays quite reasonable for me.

Comment

I have been to Mafia Island many years ago with my friends. It is an ideal destination to enjoy diving and many other adventures activities. It is also well known because of its rich natural beauty. It is one of the prettiest islands of Tanzania as well as of the world. It attracts the million of scuba divers, game fishermen and many other people.

Comment

FRANKIE! Mafia Island is a very beautiful island of Tanzania. It is an adventurers island for visitors. We can enjoy different activities there like walking, boating, fishing and biking on the nature trails. Between April and June, the rainy season lasts all year in warm temperatures.

Comment

Mafia Island is a best place for having fun and It is most promising one destination among the nature lovers. It offer a lot of natal places to enjoy the views of nature beauty. I visited there about few years ago and enjoyed its nature charming views. I captured many incredible views of nature through my camera. I think you should go there once if you like to see natural places. I hope you will fully enjoy there.

West Coast tours from los angelos

Comment

All of the sharing is nice. Mafia Island is the Island in Tanzania. Selous Game Reserve is the Nature reserve in the Tanzania. I never visit this place . But when I read your all sharing I like it. I wish i will go to there on my next tour kindly share some more information with me. Because I have on idea.

Comment

Mafia Island is a nice place in Tanzania. Every year thousands of visitors visit this place and come back with pleasant memories. It is rushed with lots of greenery and natural views. It is a perfect place for all nature lovers and photography. Must be there at least once. If you need any kind of information can as k about attractions or others.

Comment

Ther is no doubt Mafia Island is a really nice and beautiful place. The travel like this place for traveling. the members also shared nice sort of stuff about this island. Anyway, Harry in your post, you said that anyone asked you any kinds of information about this island. so buddy, would you like to share some images of this island with all of us.

My washington dc tour from new york was fabulous.

Comment

Why not buddy here I am going to share some images of Mafia Island with you.

I hope buddy you will like them.

Comment

wow, you have shared mind-blowing images of this beach. Which are awesome. I after seeing these images, I have make a plan to explore this beach in this month. I am sure I must enjoy there lots of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X