Lake Langano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Langano

Langano is a lake in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia, exactly 200 kilometers by road south of the capital, Addis Ababa, on the border between the Misraq Shewa and Arsi Zones. The first European to record its existence, Oscar Neumann, records that it was also known as "Lake Kore". It is located to the east of Lake Abijatta in the Main Ethiopian Rift at an elevation of 1,585 meters.

According to figures published by the Central Statistical Agency, Lake Langano is 18 kilometers long and 16 km wide, with a surface area of 230 square kilometers and a maximum depth of 46 meters. The lake has a catchment 1600 square kilometers in size, and is drained by the Hora Kallo river which empties into the adjacent Lake Abijatta.

As it is free of Bilharzia (schistosomiasis), unlike all other freshwater lakes in Ethiopia, Lake Langano is popular with tourists and city-dwellers. The lake is brown in color. There are a number of resorts around the lake and water sports are popular. There is a variety of wildlife around the lake, which include hippos (rare), monkeys, baboons, warthogs, and a huge variety of birds. The area around the lake is largely deforested, however, and a large number of herders live around the area.

Two earthquakes had their epicenter near this lake, the first in 1906 (a magnitude 6.8 on the Richter scale), and the second in 1985 (magnitude 6.2).After the earthquake of 1906 there formed a 25 - 30 m tall geyser on Edo Laki Island on the northern part of lake. Geyser disappeared circa 1966 - 1970, leaving a hot spring.

Bordering the eastern shore of Lake Langano is East Langano Nature Reserve, a beautiful lakeside forest and home to a variety of birds and mammals. The area is a delight to explore on foot or on horseback.

The forests are mainly podocarpus and wild fig trees, full of Colobus Monkeys and over 300 species of birds, 7 of which are endemic to Ethiopia. There are also numerous wild mammals recorded, although in low populations - due to seasonal traditional hunting of the forest by local communities.

On the western shores of Lake Langano, the Wabi Shabele and Bekele Mola hotels can be found. There the lakeside beaches are marginally better than the eastern, but you will find that due to deforestation most of the acacia forest has now gone, largely due to the illegal production and sale of charcoal.
    Find the most interesting place from attractions guide
    Find the similar links
    List of hotels |Imports Company

Nice article with attractive pic...Look like a cool place to visit.

Comment

Lake Langano is a good three hours (250km) drive south from Addis. The lake is one of a series running south down the Ethiopian Rift Valley - and then on into Kenya.

Comment

hy zhouyaya! i must appreciate your effort you shared massive information about this region. Your share information is really beneficial for first time traveler to this lake. honestly speaking i was totally unaware from this place before reading your post. But now i am quite interested to know about this region in details. would you like to share about it best attractive places of points of interest?? I have to visit there and want to plan my trip regarding to your suggestions.

Comment

zhouyaya! Really nice and informative article, and such nice photos, I love them. I have never been to Lake Langano but it looks that is a nice place to visit. I'm going to Niagara falls boat tour with get bus tour package. I hope that after my trip I'll find some more time to visit the Lake Langano.

Comment

I have been to Lake Langano few months ago after completing my rowland heights to las vegas tours with my family. It is a beautiful and one of the most visited attractions of Ethiopia. This lake is 16 km wide and 18 km long. It looks unique due to its beautiful side forest that homes to birds and mammals.

Comment

Lake Langano is a most famous holiday destination around the world. I have been there about a years ago with my whole family to enjoyed holidays. We stay there for one week and had lots of fun there. It is a nice place where tourist can enjoy holidays with family and friends. I would love to go there again after my west coast bus tours from san fransico

Comment

Guys! Your shared nice information could benefit to others. I have no idea about Lake Langano and I think it is an interesting place to visit. I like traveling and I have visited different destinations during my journey. Last three months ago, I have came back from boston to nyc sighseeing tour with my uncle. We had a great time there and enjoyed this tour. jack! After reading your post, I want to go there. Would you like to share about it and images of this lake? I am waiting for your reply.

Comment

You have shared a really nice information Jess! with all of us. I like to say that you have deep knowledge about this decision. I undo go there for having fun because I have never visited daughter ever in my life but?I see its many images from my big bro Laptop, So I will go there in next summer vacations.

Comment

Glad to know that dude you would like to be there in next summer vacations. I am so sure this will be pleasant for you. I would like to suggest you must stake your camera during your journey. Anyway buddy which attractions you will like to explore there? WI hope you will like to share with all of us.

Comment

Hery! You give a really nice suggestion to tomammi. I also suggst he must take his cammera during his journey. I also wnat to know about those attractison names which he will explore there during his journey. I am sure he reply me soon and share nice attractions names.

Comment

Yeah dude like you I am also till then will wait. anyway buddy I wants to know from you have you ever taken corning glass museum tour in your life? If yes then must share your experience with all of us. I will wait for your reply buddy.

Comment

Yeah, I have explored this museum before my Vacation package from Chicago. My experience was real nice nice thee. I have captured many images of this museum in my camera. I can never forget my this journey in my whole life. By the way, have you explored this museum personally?

Comment

Well buddy feeling very bad to tell you that I have never visited personally this place in my life. I have got this knowledge about that place from my friends and net too. Anyhow buddy I wants to see those images which you have captured there during your visit> Would you like to share with all of us?

Comment

Great information zhouyaya, Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X